Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Monday, June 30, 2008

18 Months Update

It’s been ages since I’ve made an update on Jelly. Been very preoccupied with a lot of things. I never seem to be finding the time when at work or back at home to pen down a few lines……….

Coming to updates, Jelly is turning out to be one hell of a naughty toddler. Thanks to her restless behavior her grandpa has just managed to lose that extra weight, which his doctor had been advising him to loose for ages now. You can find my in-laws in a better shape than ever now ;-). On a serious note I think it’s high time I give them a much needed break.

If I were to tell you about her day to day habits I would have to copy every single bit of what Shruthi has written here. She is turning out to be one noisy kid. She is not so keen on playing with toys, but the moment she spots any kid, who is visiting our house moving towards her toys, she manages to reach there before them and starts playing with the toy they wanted to play with. She will see to it that the said kid does not get a single toy in his or her hands for more than a minute. Its not that she does not like playing with other kids, it’s just that she is not ready to hand over her toys to anyone (grrr!!!). We try our best to make her share her toys but no, she would not listen to us one bit. If the kids do not bother about her toys then she has a total blast playing with them. She loves kids who are of her age or slightly bigger than her. Smaller kids are looked upon as though they were mere dolls. And in such cases I would have to keep a close watch, so that she does not land up hurting them.

At last my little kiddo is turning out to be a little girl!! She has started loving her soft toys. Initially soft toys were meant to be chewed upon or used as a mop to clean the floors. The poor souls are getting a better treatment now; she hugs and kisses them when in a good mood. But when she gets a good round of scolding from me for her naughty behavior, she takes a pen or spoon or a stick and waves it threateningly at them and says “Addi- as in I’m going to hit you” after that would come a whole lot of verbal assault which only she would understand.

After dinner when she is ready to hit the bed, we sit with her toys and books for some time. She makes me read her alphabet or fruits & vegetables book to her. On one such day I thought of making it a bit more interesting for her and placed her Teddy in my lap and used the hands of the teddy to point out to the objects I was reading for her. She looked at the teddy in awe and from then on whenever she wanted me to read a book to her she would take the teddy, place it in my lap and tell “Teddy…book ….book”. Now it is graduated on to Winnie book ………

You would know if Jelly is at home from the moment you step into our house. The front room would be all strewn with her toys, oh yes this needs a special mention. As I said earlier she is not crazy about playing with toys, I will tell you what her interest are later in the blog. We have put all her toys in a couple of bags and placed it in a corner of the room, the moment she enters the rooms, she marches up to the bags takes it , carries it to the center of the room and places it there. Once it is placed there she would hold the bottom corner of the bag and empty its contents in a flash. Once this is done she would either use her hands or legs and see it to that the toys would reach every nook and corner of the room. With this also accomplished, she would happily march out of this room to the next room to create a havoc out there (sigh!!!!). No amount of pleading or scolding or threatening seem to stop her from doing this….. Can anyone tell me how to tame this wild little girl????????

Now about how she passes her time in the other rooms, well nothing different, its just that in the dining area it would be spoons or tiny plates and in the kitchen it would be onions or garlic or potatoes who face the same fate as the toys. At any time of the day our house looks like it’s just had a date with a hurricane or tornado.

She is the new found parrot of our house. We just cannot speak anything; the moment we speak she picks up words and repeats them in a flash. Not that she just repeats it; she also knows what we mean when we tell something. I and SM at times have to use code languages to make sure she does not follow what we are talking. She calls her granny (my mom) by her name and when mom makes a straight face you should see what this little imp does. She goes to mom, sits on her lap, keeps her face close to moms face, gives her sweetest smile and calls her “Ammumma” (granny). And as soon as she sees that mom has fallen for her bait, she gives a wide grin and calls her by her name again!!!!!!!

In a couple of days time Jelly is going to be 18 months old that is a year and a half!!!!!! Now I need some help from you experienced moms out there. Jelly still needs her night feeds and I’m just going crazy with it. She wails her life out if I do not feed her. She sleeps with a full tummy of Cerlac but in a matter of about 2-3 hours she is hungry and manages emptying a whole bottle!!! It’s been so long since I have got a full night’s sleep. Please do tell me what worked out for you………..I’m eagerly waiting out here for some true help.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jelly is growing up like an angel!! :)

As for the night feeds, I used to offer Kochunni a full glass of regular milk right before bedtime after dinner just 1/2 hr before bedtime. At night when he used to wake up, I used to pat him to sleep. (couple of nights were really tough)

Another thing, my doc suggested was to give him water - just to pacify them! Might work? Good luck!

K3

Swati said...

Yeah , as K3 said , I also give Aryan milk before bedtime , after dinner. This works for me usually. But once in a while when he skips dinner , he gets up for night feed. Plus whenever he recovers from illness (fever/motions) he gets up for night feeds.

And yes , giving water works sometimes , my MIL also suggested me same once.

Wunderyearz said...

Thanx K3 and Swati!!!
I shall give it a shot and see......

Aryan-Arjun said...

Oh no she is so cute...taming wild girl???
Ahh...I can imagine her calling your mom by name..so sweet jelly darling...Sometimes thinking about jelly, i feel i should have a girl child....
Anyway for night feeds, even I am stuck. Can you belive, Aryan has still not weaned. He will be two in august...
AM

Mama - Mia said...

:) hapyy 18th to Jelly!!

she sounds like a totally sweet brat!! wild is good!! hehe!!

as for feeds, Cubby rarely woke up even when baby for night feeds (touchwood)! he does wake up occassionally when his sleep has been broken and then he sleeps late types.

why dont you try giving her dal-chaawal etc at night instead of cerelac? maybe it will be more filling?

also, i guess you just have to let her wail for a few days for her to understand that no food in the middle of the night!

K3s idea sounds the most useful though! :)

cheers!

abha

Wunderyearz said...

Aryans mom: Oh poor you, how are you managing???? I'm really going to try something and stop this night feed stuff soon..

Abha:Lucky you - Anti Jinx ;-)
I'm trying to make my heart rock hard for the whole process

Mira's mom said...

Ok, now I was probably one of those lucky moms...didn't really have to work hard at making Mira sleep through the night. Mira sleeps twice during the day for one hour each and I think at night when she has milk, she is so tired that she sleeps through only to get up in the morning to have her next round of milk. Is Jelly sleeping too much during the day?

Wunderyearz said...

Mira's Mom: She sleeps for about an hour and a half in the morning and the noon.Not sure if that is more than required.

K 3 said...

Just wanted to say 'Hi' long time & no posts ... Hope all is well ...