Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Monday, January 28, 2008

Reflections Of My Mind

Never been a movie buff, but this weekend got to watch a movie that just touched my heart. Not one to feel emotional after watching a movie but this movie just made me sit back and think “How much every single family has to sit together and watch this one".

I’m speaking about “Taare Zameen Pe”. Not giving a review of the movie out here. Just felt like putting up a post on how close to our hearts this movie can get. It’s not one for people who just want some masala entertainment for 2-3 hours.

Aamir Khan has played the role of the teacher very well but it is Darsheel Safary who brings out the over pressurized child in every one of us. Not sure if he understood the kind of role he is playing but he has lived the character to the best of his ability. Agreed they have made the movie with a little bit of the Bollywood masala to keep the crowd on their seats but otherwise it’s a movie that raises many questions in our minds.

We as humans have so much of expectations from people close to us. Our parents had and still have high expectations from us. They want us to be the best in all that we lay our hands on. It’s not about my parents or some other parents in particular. To be really frank even I and SM already seem to be having some expectations from Jelly, not academically. We expect her be much more well behaved, without throwing tantrums in the public. We expect her to be like other kids who are very friendly with every stranger or even be more manageable at nights etc.

When is it that we start expecting things from our children? The movie made me look at Jelly in a totally new light. As a completely different individual, someone who already has a mind of her own. And hey she is just over a year old and how could we expect her to behave like a mature adult. She is still not old enough to even speak out what she is going through. When we go out on a long outing she gets cranky after a while. It can just be that she is tired or hungry or not feeling comfortable to sleep with a lot a noise in the background…….It could just be anything. But we get frustrated that our outing is not happening as we had planned and get all worked up. Is this not having crazy expectations from a 1 year old?

Not sure if I have been able to convey the kind of feelings or thoughts I had in my mind when I started typing this post. But just felt like sharing my thoughts in random to people who are brave enough to read my blog. But if you have a few hours to spare do watch this movie it might just change your perspective on how to raise your children.

5 comments:

Aryan-Arjun said...

You talked my mind wunderyears..yesterday only I went to Chudi Market in Charminar. Hyderabad, being famous for chudi's..I took Aryan and he was happy in the begining..towards the end..he was damn cranky and uncomforatable and I was more angry on him for not allowing me to shop properly. At last ended up beating him..poor fellow cried and slept..Will do a post about this soon..and write how Aryan must have felt..
Aryan's mom

Wunderyearz said...

Aryan's mom

I have been to Chudi market whenever I have been to Hyderabad.The crowd out there is just crazy.I have felt a little craky everytimeI have been there.So i can completly understand what poor Aryan would have gone through.

Why do we set the scales so high for our children is a question i'm never able to answer.
Please don't spank that poor soul......

Aryan-Arjun said...

HI wonderyears you are tagged...
Aryan's mom

Preethi said...

first time here.. and really liked your writing style.. this was a very lucid post!! :)

Chitra said...

"Brave enough to read your blog"? Geez....most under-estimated sentence, I say...!